Rene Merino Monroy is El Salvador’s Minister of Defense. Monroy was sworn in as minister on June 1, 2019, by President Nayib Bukele. Minister Monroy became the first member of the Naval Forces to obtain this prestigious position.
Defense Minister of El Salvador.
In late May 2019, President-elect Nayib Bukele announced that he had selected Colonel Rene Merino Monroy to be his defense minister.
Some in the opposition, such as the political parties FMLN and ARENA, questioned the decision to appoint Monroy as defense minister. Monroy’s rank is a colonel and not general, which has been the norm for the post in the past.
Merino Monroy replaced Munguia Payes, a controversial defense minister who served as minister for ten years, five with ex-president Mauricio Funes Cartagena and five with ex-president Salvador Sanchez Ceren.
In the first 12 months of the Bukele administration, Minister Rene Merino Monroy has been one of the administration’s most public figures.
In just 12 months, El Salvador, with the new security measures, has set records with the lowest murder rate in 30 years, in addition to having the most days with zero murders.
The security plan implemented by the government of president Nayib Bukele is giving such positive results that San Salvador is no longer one of the most dangerous cities in the world.
Minister Monroy is playing an essential role in the fight against crime. He is also one of the most beloved and respected ministers in the administration of President Nayib Bukele.
The Salvadoran armed forces and the pandemic.
During the coronavirus in El Salvador pandemic, the Salvadoran armed forces led by Monroy have been at the forefront of the fight against the virus.
For example, Monroy and the Salvadoran armed forces have helped secure blind spots on the country’s borders. Also, they have helped the police secure the territory, and have also helped combat organized crime.
Additionally, the Monroy armed forces have immensely helped distribute food packages to families in need throughout the Salvadoran territory.
Many Salvadorans have commented that this is the most they have seen the Salvadoran Army work to help the general population.
The credit for all the work done goes to all members of the military. Since the start of the pandemic, they have worked very hard for the nation.
Defence Minister Rene Merino Monroy.
Rene Merino Monroy is a military man, he started his education at the Captain General Gerardo Barrios military school in 1986.
In the ’80s, he received training in Fort Benning, Columbus Georgia, and the Arturo Prat naval school in Valparaiso Chile. Monroy also received training at the Naval War College of the United States Navy in 2007 and 2008.
- El Salvador Cadet Course, Fort Benning, Columbus Georgia, USA.
- Course for Navy Officer Naval School “Arturo Prat”, Valparaíso, Chile.
- Advanced Infantry Course, at the “Gral. Manuel José Arce.”
- Planas Mayores Course, at the “Gral. Manuel José Arce.”
- Basic English course, at the Military Doctrine and Education Command.
- Regular Course of General Staff, School of Command and General Staff “Dr. Manuel Enrique Araujo.”
- First Grade Assistant Professor of the Logistics course.
- Naval Staff Course, Naval War College, Newport Rhode Island. USES.
- Military Professor of the subject of Military Geography and Geopolitics.
- Diploma in Military Teaching Universidad Tecnológica El Salvador.
- Naval Command Course, Naval War College, Newport Rhode Island USA.
- National Defense Course, College of Higher Strategic Studies.